Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"A drawing a day keeps the doctor away"

The biggest thing to get me into fashion design is drawing. I've been "drawing" as long as I can remember, even if my creations were nothing more than drool and ink scribbles on paper. Drawing is a huge part of my life, and I'll be damned if I don't do something with it as a career.

I've recently learned of the famous fashion illustrator, Sophie Toulouse. I've browsed some of her artwork, and it's nothing short of amazing.

This is probably one of my favorites so far.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Just the contours of the body and the high contrasting values give this illustration an incredibly delicate aura. It's showing you an emotion, not telling you how to feel.
I also love how she portrays wing-like appendages without being cliche, because we all know that wings are wayy overdone.

So, I had better step up my game as far as fashion illustrations go.
I'm feeling inspired.

2 comments: