Thursday, March 11, 2010

And now, back to our feature presentation!

I love ridiculous blog titles. hee =]

So! Back to the current topic.

I left off with an egyptian Dior couture collection, so now I'm looking at something a little more recent: Spring 2007.

This couture collection exhibits profound oriental influences, with kimono-like drapes and a strong presence of origami. I adore the techniques he used with the folding, for he manipulates the fabric in a way that imitates paper with elegance and beauty. Check out these lovely ladies. Giant folded lilies embrace their frail bodies, almost teasing the observer. It reminds me of the Japanese geisha, and their subtley seductive tendencies.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Galliano is quite playful in this collection. It displays a wide array of emotions, capturing many entities of asian culture. Here we have the delicate, quiet nature, and then there's a high sense of elegance and drama, captured here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I especially love how in the eggshell dress, Galliano portrays the classic Dior silhouette, with a wasp-waist to accentuate the female curves. The green and yellow piece is one of my favorites, its so dramatic and reflects such pride. I also love how the coat is so awkwardly huge compared to the delicate gown beneath, it creates such an interesting look, and yet still completely asian in influence and design. I believe these two pieces have a more historical atmosphere to them, but several garments in this collection convey a playful, modern twist. The detail in the this gray origami dress is astounding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I especially want everyone to notice the print detail on the white dress. The waves of her skirt are actually a famous woodblock print from the Japanese artist, Katsushika Hokusai, who did a series of works known as Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji. The wave print featured here is from his most famous print, The Great Wave off Kanagawa, seen here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Also, I almost feel like this piece reflects the painting in its design, with a large, wave-like collar draped around the neck, and even the texture of the fabric. It's fluid, yet holds its shape. I feel like this collection secretly depicts every aspect of the japanese culture, good and bad, and a lot of research was aquired to design such detailed works of art. I only wish I could analyze every single one here, but that requires a lot of time and space. Perhaps I shall revisit this collection later on, it is quite magnificent.

1 comment:

  1. gahh i love the Hokusai dress granted I am in love with the entire block print series!!

    ReplyDelete