Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fashion Week 2010. A few thoughts...



I decided to share Vassilios Kostetsos' Spring/Summer 2011 collection for a few reasons. One, that I was privileged enough to be present, Two, that I honestly didn't care too much for the collection at first, which leads me to reason Three: it surprised me. I realized that even though this collection is in now way at all wearable, (I mean, it's fashion week, how many actually are?) it is definitely full of drama and glamor. After watching it backstage and then seeing it on the bigscreen a few more times, I came to see an underlying notion I hadn't noticed before. Of course, I could be way off base here, but this collection, even the designer, is very focused on the glamorous idea of fashion. The idea of fashion being fabulous and beautiful and dramatic all the time is purely fantasy. Many people fail to acknowledge the less-than-wonderful aspects of fashion: Haute Couture is disappearing, and WalMart and Forever21 are banking on private label designs. This was not a million dollar collection. It may have cost that much, but that money is not coming back. Hopefully Kostetsos has a perfume or accessory line to fund his over the top line, but I will say that as a show, this collection was a success.

Well, Kostetsos could either be brilliant, or delirious. Maybe this is the only fashion he sees, and everyone who disagrees can suck it!

P.S. You can totally see me in the background at precisely 29seconds. WHAT. xD

No comments:

Post a Comment