Monday, October 11, 2010

A Coming-of-Age Tale

Foxfire (1996)
Cast: Angelina Jolie, Hedy Burress, Jenny Shimizu, etc.

I decided to watch this movie on a whim. I wasn't sure what to expect, but despite a few moments of predictability, I was blown away. It's a classic depiction of 90's teenage angst and a world before cell phones and parental paranoia. The characters gain a sense of freedom, confidence, and audacity through the strength of their friendship.

One of my favorite things about the movie is Angelina Jolie's character, 'Legs', and her complete lack of inhibition. She's the ultimate badass. I found this screencap (via Google) of her tattooing Hedy Burress, an incredibly intimate scene, and probably one of my favorites.

Photobucket

As each girl is branded with the symbol of fire to "commemorate" their adventures, Mazzy Star's "Into Dust" makes the perfect musical accompaniment.

Goldie: "Wow, this is great! Buttinger is such a Fuck!"

2 comments: